Thursday, July 27, 2006

Trading Card Close-up # 4: "Cygnus Command Center"

My trading card close-up this week comes from that classic "guilty pleasure" sci-fi movie, The Black Hole (1979).

I loved this Walt Disney movie when I was a kid because it was packed to the gills with hovering robots, incredible special effects and vast, impressive sets.

Also - what a great cast! I mean, Robert Forster, Ernest Borgnine, Anthony Perkins, Maximillian Schell and Yvette Mimieux sharing screen time?! And Roddy McDowall doing the voice of the robot V.I.N.CENT? How could you not love this movie based on cast alone? (Well, if you've seen it, you know. It's sorta...goofy.)

This card is # 20 from the Topps The Black Hole set. It's not particularly special except that it's a good ensemble shot, and a great view of the Cygnus command deck (which is HUGE in the movie).

The real reason I'm featuring this card, however, is that I want you to take a good long look at that hovering robot in the foreground.

Please.

Yep, I'm talking about V.I.N.CENT. I've been nursing this theory for the longest time that this robot looks just like...Eric Cartman on South Park. Seriously. They have the same eyes. And they're both squad and kind of fat.

Or I should say, big boned.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:26 PM

    Ernest freaking Borgnine in a tight-fitting jumpsuit? Say it isn't so!

    MY EYES!

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...