Sunday, December 21, 2008

Vault of Horror Strikes Back: Presenting the Top 25 Horror Films of the Modern Era!

One of my favorite blogs, Vault of Horror, is back with a second must-see list of horror film tops.

This time, the Vault opens the "Cyber-Horror Elite's" Top 25 films of the Modern Era (1990 - 2008). It's another tally that is certain to provoke debate (always a noble cause...), and the final selections are indeed fascinating ones.

Only a handful of my personal top ten made the list: The Blair Witch Project (1999), The Ring (2002) and a real dark horse; a favorite that I'm glad to see recognized as "horror" of the deepest, most disturbing type: Stanley Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut (1999).

In general, I seemed more in tune with other critics on the previous list (the top 50 of all time), which I think may indicate how little real agreement there is on "contemporary" horror. It's still, in some important ways, too soon to be definitive. But this list is not only a great viewing primer, it's a terrific source for discussion.

I won't spoil the list, but let me just state that I am surprised by the film that represents director Eli Roth's output. I prefer Hostel (2005). Also, I'm sorry to see that such noble efforts as Jacob's Ladder (1990), Pitch Black (2000) and Silent Hill (2006) apparently had no traction with the other horror lovers. On the other hand, it's hard to deny the quality of most of the films that made the top 25. It's good to see American Psycho (2000) getting some belated love.

Check out Vault of Horror's entire list here. B-Sol has not only done a great job compiling and organizing this catalogue, he has analyzed it too, and provided some intriguing statistics on the selections.

3 comments:

  1. I was a bit hesitant to participate, as I hadn't seen a lot of newer horror (given my website's focus, not a surprise). But I put together a pile of unwatched DVDs and they never made a dent on the list I originally put together, so I'm pretty sure I'm okay.

    I think (and I'd have to double-check) about 7-8 of my choices made the final list -- including Dellamorte Dellamore, which was my #1.

    One thing that I am really grateful for is that this finally gave me a reason to seek out and watch El Dia de la Bestia, which may be my new favorite Christmas movie (although really not horror enough for consideration on my list).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brian,

    Thanks for dropping by (and for sharing the love for Pitch Black -- a much stronger horror film than many critics acknowledge.)

    Also, I clicked on over to your new Raising Hell column, and I love your list. Very, very interesting choices...

    best,
    JKM

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal: "Apologia"

Apologia By Ken Muir   I am a person of my age, of my time in history.    Born into an America that was on the verge of winning the greatest...