Monday, January 19, 2009

More House Between Goodness

As the clock ticks down to the premiere of The House Between's third season on January 30th, I've got all kinds of coolness to report.

First, the home page
has been entirely re-vamped and upgraded, and now features picture galleries, archived episodes (all fifteen of 'em!), the discussion board, trailers, interviews, merchandise and more.

Secondly, The Destinies: The Voice of Science Fiction Interview I did Friday night has been posted on the net by CaptainPhilOnline here. Listen in!


Last, but in no way least,
Quantum Imprimaturs, the series' fan appreciation page has posted the first in a series of brand new cast interviews. First up: Jim Blanton (the indomitable Arlo).

Here's a sample of the Blanton interview, which you can read in its entirety here:

One of my favorite scenes in the entire series came in "Positioned" as Arlo sat on a staircase with Bill and delivered a lengthy but emotionally touching monolog about his background. Was that hard??

I’m glad to hear you enjoyed that scene. That was probably the second most difficult moment for me during the first season. The hardest scene for me was the first one I shot with Kim, in which our characters initially meet. I was working on finding the right tone for Arlo, so that was challenging. The staircase sequence was significant in that it was the first time I had to deliver a large amount of uninterrupted dialogue. Tony and I rehearsed that scene for a good bit of time (at least by our standards on the show), and that made a big difference in how that came off.


What were you thinking about when you delivered those lines?

Actually whenever I’m delivering lines I tend to be thinking of two things at once. First off, I try to think of an event in my life that conjures emotions similar to those Arlo would be feeling in a given scene. In this particular instance, while I don’t recall specifically what I was thinking of, I imagine it was probably the loss of a loved one. The second thing I’m thinking of is what I’m doing physically (e.g. eye movement, hand gestures, etc.). Given Arlo’s agitated state, I felt that he would always be someone who communicated a great deal through his eyes and body language. So (if I was successful) you should see that pretty consistently in what I’m doing. In using subtle physical characteristics to convey his emotional state, I felt I could avoid the potential trap of going overboard and making him a cartoonish figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...