Sunday, October 14, 2012

Ask JKM a Question #40: Science Fiction Film Survey Books?


A regular reader named Trent writes:

“Hey I was in Barnes  and Nobles the other day and I bought a book called 'Horror Film: Creating and Marketing Fear by Steffen Hantke'. That book was an impulse buy for me, but my purpose was to purchase a book on science fiction films for a nephew. I was disappointed by the material. I then started thinking how it would be cool if there was a book similar to your Horror Films series. And hence my question:

"Will there ever be a 'Science Fiction Films of the Decade' series of books? It would seem like a natural endeavor considering your genre expertise."

Trent, there seems to be a gathering consensus from the readership of this blog that a “Science Fiction Films of” is a natural for me. 

I’m persuaded.  It’s a subject I love, and I enjoy creating these history/survey books.  I’ve been looking for an excuse to return to the 1970s...so that might be a good starting place.

So long story short: Science Fiction Films of the 1970s is in the works right now, and I hope to have it available some time in 2013 (before next Christmas, preferably).

I’ll keep you updated on my progress, but to answer your question, I’d like to write several decades worth of these books, and keep pace with my horror surveys. 

It’s just a matter of how fast I type, and how many movies I can see…

Don’t forget to ask me your questions at Muirbusiness@yahoo.com

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:30 PM

    John I am looking forward to your 2013 release of Science Fiction Films of the 1970s book. It is a great idea for you to anaylze this impressive decade in science-fiction that defined our boyhoods. I have another book that I purchased from McFarland a decade ago covering the '80s called Science-Fiction Filmmaking on the 1980s. Albeit I hope that you will eventually do books on the '80s, '60s and '90s too.

    SGB

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great to hear John, I look forward and will be purchasing. Funny, I thought that either 'Logan's Run' or 'THX 1138' would make a excellent cover photo.

    I am curious though, in your horror series, you have reviewed films such as 'T2: Judgement Day'. A film that I must admit, I do not think is horror, but one of the great sci-fi films. I am curious as to whether or not you leave a film like T2 out of a review because it has already been reviewed...or...would you review it again, only from a sci-fi perspective? The line between horror and sci-fi is somewhat blurred in the 90's, and less so in the 70's, but I do know many people who call 'Alien' a sci-fi film and not a horror film. 'Westworld & 'The Stepford Wives' seems like it could fall into this category also. I guess I will have to wait and see for myself sometime next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:16 AM

    This is great news. I have not been a huge fan of horror genre, although this blog has had a positive influence. Science fiction on the other hand is the thing for me. By the way, are there any such books about art house or 60's and 70's European films?

    -T.S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good news indeed. I own a few of your books already. I've read your Exploring Space:1999 book several times, and I enjoy your Doctor Who and Battlestar Galactica books regularly (great to read your comments after watching an episode). I also have a couple of your Space:1999 novels. I confess I haven't read your Horror books yet, even though I do enjoy horror also. I will definitely check out your Science Fiction Films of the 70's (and 80's, and 90's).

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great news! I have just started getting into Sci-Fi/Horror books, in fact just finished a great one by Edgar Swamp titled, "The Gyre Mission: Journey to the *sshole of the World." I want more!!! Can't wait to check this one out.

    http://www.edgarswamp.com/

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...