Monday, October 01, 2012

Television and Cinema Verities #39



“It didn’t occur to me on any kind of conscious level, but what this guy [a psychologist] was saying was that Night of the Comet was like a reflection of where teenagers are in their personality development.  At that point, they’re still extremely egocentric.  They believe the world orbits around them, and that their concerns are the only ones that matter.  They have little concern for anybody or anything around them.  He said that Night of the Comet is a visual representation of that stage. There are these two girls and nothing else matters.  I wasn’t doing that on a conscious level, but it makes a lot of sense.  I had no illusions when I did it that this was anything more than a drive-in movie.”

- Writer-director Thom Eberhardt discusses with me the psychological underpinnings of Night of the Comet (1984). From Horror Films of the 1980s, page 402.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...