Wednesday, December 26, 2012

2012 - A Year in Collectibles #10: Space:1999 Stun Gun (Remco)




I've always loved the look, feel and atmosphere of Space:1999 (1975 - 1977).   

When I was a kid, I was certain that this was exactly what the future would look like. I'm disappointed to this day that it hasn't been the case.

My admiration for the Space: 1999 vibe extends to the series' inventive and futuristic props, such as the comm-lock and the staple-gun-styled stun gun used by The Alphans.  Accordingly, as a child, one of my most prized possessions was indeed an "official" Space:1999 stun gun,  a toy produced by Remco.  

Featuring "realistic space sound" and "3 function actuator," this stun gun toy was actually little more than a flashlight, I suppose you could say.  But when you de-pressed the trigger (located above the handle), you could "fire" a "lazer beam," "project a light target" on a wall (like an Eagle, for instance...) or enjoy the "sequential color lights."

If memory serves, Remco also produced a Star Trek phaser very much like this toy, with similar light and sound effects, and the same capability to project images on the wall.  I'm pretty sure I had that one too, though I no longer own one today.

Recommended for children over five, the Remco stun gun operated on 2 "C" batteries, and proved a critical part of  many interplanetary adventures...in my own backyard, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...