Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Collectible of the Week: The Black Hole action figures (Mego; 1979)



Last week, I wrote about my love for The Black Hole (1979) as a fourth grader, and I still vividly remember collecting Mego’s line of three-inch action figures from the line.  In fact, I still own several of the figures here in my home office…nearly thirty-five years later!


Included in the first release of Mego’s The Black Hole action figures are: Maximillian, Commander Reinhardt (Maximillian Schell), V.I.N.C.ent, Captain Dan Holland (Robert Forster), Charlie Pizer (Joseph Bottoms), Dr. Kate McRae (Yvette Mimieux), Dr. Alex Durant (Anthony Perkins) and journalist Harry Booth (Ernest Borgnine).




And really, who could resist owning an action figure of Ernest Borgnine?

Like the Buck Rogers in the 25th Century action figures produced by Mego the same year, these Black Hole figures are held together at their joints by small silver, metal pins.  It was very easy, as I recall, to snap-off the character arms or legs because these pins would grow loose or fall out. 

Similarly, even routine play with these Mego figures could result in character thumbs and hands being permanently amputated.  On top of this considerable drawback, none of the human figures in the Black Hole line carry weapons of any sort (a bow to Disney’s “no gun” policy, apparently).



Uniquely, The Black Hole action figures may today be more well known for rarities and unproduced toys than the quality of the actual releases.  The second wave of action figures -- which I never saw in stores -- included some of the movie’s most popular characters, including Old B.O.B., the Black Sentry – Captain S.T.A.R., and the (terrifying to kids…) Cygnus Humanoid.

If the first line of offerings had proven more successful, Mego had plans to produce a Cygnus command center play set, and also a beautifully-done U.S.S. Palomino toy.  You can see images of both prototypes at one of my all-time favorite net haunts, the Mego Museum.

Like the Mego Star Trek: The Motion Picture line of 1979, the Black Hole action figures tanked in stores, though not with me, personally.  I remember often running into a local Bradley’s store, past the main room, past the gardening center, straight to the toy aisles, where figures from both series sold for just a 1.00 apiece.  I bought up every single one available, on multiple trips, and always dreamed of finding a Klingon, an Arcturian, Old B.O.B. or Captain S.T.A.R.

To this day, that dream hasn’t come true, but there’s always E-Bay, right? 


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:30 AM

    John your childhood adventures in collecting Black Hole figures in 1979 and 1980 bring back my our adventures at that time.

    SGB

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...