Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Reader Top Ten Science Fiction Films: Jeffrey Siniard



Our final list for today (with more coming up tomorrow and Friday...) comes from Jeffrey Siniard, and it has some great selections that we haven't seen before.

Starship Troopers (1997) -- a caustic satire of nationalist propaganda -- is here to represent the works of Verhoeven, and I also appreciate that Gilliam's mind-bending 12 Monkey's (1995) made the list.  Both are solid and worthwhile choices.  

Here's Jeffrey:

"Here's my list for Science Fiction films. I decided only to list films I've actually seen, along with some honorable mentions and films that I need to watch.


Note: I understand the lasting impact and influence of Star Wars is incredible, especially it's special effects, pacing, and it's status as the original blockbuster, but it's really not Science Fiction to me (more like Fantasy, where it would be close to #1).  Also, if I'm picking a Star Wars film, I'd want the best one - which I think is The Empire Strikes Back. Anyway, onto the list...



Top Ten (no particular order after #1)



#1     2001: A Space Odyssey    


    Forbidden Planet

    Starship Troopers
    Alien
    Planet of the Apes (1968)
    Silent Running
    The Matrix
    12 Monkeys
    Blade Runner
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind



Honorable Mention



    Gattaca
    A.I. Artificial Intelligence
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    Prometheus
    The War of the Worlds (1953)
    Aliens
    The Abyss (Director's Cut)
    Solaris (2002)
    Sunshine
    The Terminator
    Terminator 2: Judgement Day
    Moon
    
On the "to watch" List



    Solaris (1972)
    Metropolis
    Brazil
    District 9
    Things to Come
    Logan's Run
    Destination Moon"

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...