Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Collectible of the Week: Clash of the Titans Action Figures (Mattel; 1981)



In 1981, Mattel acquired the license to the epic Ray Harryhausen fantasy film, Clash of the Titans, and produced a nice line of 3-inchaction figures and toys based on the stop-motion spectacle. 

Today, many of these toys -- particularly the Greek mythology-inspired “monsters” or “beasts” -- are worth a pretty penny and considered collectors’ items.


In terms of the action figures, Mattel produced Perseus -- Harry Hamlin’s character -- described on his card as “The Hero Son of Zeus,” and the film’s secondary villain, the deformed, devil-like Calibos (“Lord of the Marsh.”) 

It also produced Thallo (“Captain of the Guard”), and Charon (“The Devil’s Boat Keeper.”)  I had all of these figures, except for Charon.  I still have them in my home office, sharing a shelf with figures from Captain Power, Mork and Mindy, The Black Hole, and Dune.

Mattel also manufactured a Clash of the Titans set featuring Perseus and Pegasus (“The Winged Horse), and best of all…the monstrous destroyer of cities, the Kraken.  I remember being in fifth grade and wanting that Kraken toy more than anything, but I never managed to get my hands on one.



I don’t know that these Clash of the Titans figures were all that successful commercially, but they came with nice accouterments (like gold shields and swords), and I always hoped for a second release featuring action figures like Medusa, Bubo, Andromeda, Zeus, Poseidon, and so on.  

4 comments:

  1. Wish I still had mine. I was one of those kids who played with his toys till they broke and lost all their accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:18 AM

    As a boy in '81, I never purchased these Mattel Clash Of The Titan toys, however, I can see why all the other kids did. These action figures are great. I was still into the Star Trek The Motion Picture, Filmation Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers In The 25th Century action figures in '81.

    SGB

    ReplyDelete
  3. If they would've made a Medusa action figure, my allowance couldn't have disappeared fast enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I wanted these toys sooooo badly when I was a kid. This was one of my favorite flicks for the longest time. Pegasus looked so darn cool. I always thought there was a Medusa figure... but that must have been wishful thinking. I actually saw a Calibos figure in a toy bin at the doctor's office about seven or eight years ago. A little boy was having him beat up on a little push bear. I think I did a triple take just to make sure I was seeing the figure. It was pretty beat up, but still in one piece and still identifiable as Calibos.

    ReplyDelete

Enter The House Between picks up Hermes Creative Award (Platinum!) for 2024

Enter The House Between, our audio drama that finished airing its first season in October of 2023, picked up its second award yesterday!  T...