Saturday, August 31, 2013

Reader Top Ten Greatest Science Fiction Films Circa 2000 - 2013: Ampersand


Regular reader Ampersand offers up his top-ten greatest science fictions circa 2000 – 2013.

He writes:

“Great question, John. I was a little disappointed back when I was compiling my Top 10 All-time list that there weren't any recent films on it. There's been some really great movies made since the turn of the millennium, even if it seems too early to bestow "classic" status on them, so it's great to be able to give them some attention.

A couple of ground rules: Although the last decade-and-a-half has turned somewhat unexpectedly into a golden age of big-budget superhero films, I decided that they just didn't really count, sci-fi trappings aside. Similarly, although I really wanted to include Slither, Planet Terror, Gwoemul (The Host), and especially Cabin in the Woods, I decided that they were really more on the horror (or horror/comedy) end of the spectrum than sci-fi. (Time for a new list, John?)

So, my top two are:

  1.) Serenity (2005) -- Not just a capper to the late, lamented Firefly, but a great movie in its own right. I often think that in a perfect world, the movie would have come out first, to be followed by the series to fill in the backstory

         2.) Moon (2009) -- This is what we used to call "hard sf" -- the kind written by someone like Asimov, Clarke, or Niven, and usually published in Analog magazine. But Sam Rockwell's performance (and come to think of it, Kevin Spacey's, too) gives it a human face that transcends the cliches.
And the rest, in chronological order:

A Scanner Darkly (2006) -- Of all the Philip K. Dick adaptations -- from the profound (Blade Runner) to the just dumb fun (Paycheck) -- this is the closest in spirit to Dick's work. Also, it has Robert Downey, Jr., and Woody Harrelson in supporting roles, so it can't help but be entertaining.

The Man from Earth (2007) -- This little-seen gem was Jerome Bixby's last screenplay, and re-visits an idea from one of his early Star Trek scripts ("Requiem for Methuselah"). (In fact, it's practically a Trek reunion, with Tony Todd, John Billingsley, and Richard Riehle in the cast, and if you kind of squint a little, the whole movie could be seen as a prequel to the Trek episode.) Hardly action-packed, and with modest production values, this is one of those "bunch of people sitting around a room talking" movies. But it's also a terrific, almost dizzying, venture into the kind of "what if?" storytelling that makes for the best kind of science fiction.

District 9 (2009) -- There seems to be a bit of a backlash against this movie lately. Well, screw'em, I still like it.

Star Trek (2009) / Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) -- I fully admit I'm including these two mostly out of nostalgia. But they're both solidly made, entertaining films, while remaining true to the original characters and the spirit of the 60's show, and that's no mean feat.

Source Code (2011) -- Okay, maybe don't think too hard about the ending. Just enjoy the masterful storytelling that gets you there, bit by slowly revealed bit.

Attack the Block (2011) -- Just your average, kinda low-budget, alien invasion movie. What makes this special is the protagonists, a wannabe gang of street kids. Watching them journey from petty crime to world-saving heroics is truly amazing.

Looper (2012) -- Again, don't think too hard about the ending. (Maybe that should be standard advice for time travel movies.) Worth the price of admission just for the twin performances of Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis, the film manages to sneak some sly social commentary into a compelling and frequently surprising story.

Oh, one more note: I really dithered about adding Splice (2009) to the list. The first 80 minutes or so are compelling, thought-provoking, and visually arresting. Then in the 3rd act the flick just goes completely off the rails. Maybe that's another good topic for a reader survey? Top Ten Worst Endings?”

Ampersand: I love your list, and I am very pleased to Attack the Block (2011) make the cut. I loved that movie.  It had a great exploitation vibe, and a great 1970s/John Carpenter vibe.  So much fun. 

I’m ashamed to admit this as a Trekker, but I’ve never even heard of Man from Earth!  I will have to look for that one.  Also, I really liked Splice, though I agree with you that the ending was weak.

1 comment:

  1. Attack The Block! How could I have forgotten that for my list. Brilliant movie.

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...